Saturday, September 11, 2010

Spanish Sweet Onion Letterbox

We went Letterboxing on Saturday! Thanks, Lara for the idea. It was so much fun. Just two things I would suggest: bring a compass and wear good shoes (I was wearing flip flops, don't ask me why). If you want to go letterboxing, here's what you do:
  • Go to letterboxing.org and click on your state, and then your region to find clues.
  • Print out the clues, and make a plan.
  • Find some sort of notebook to be your letterboxing log, so you can keep track of the places you've been.
  • Find a stamp that represents your family or group (We chose a ladybug because that's what I found in my craft box and I like BUGS.)
  • Bring your stamp, an ink pad, your log book and a pen, and go discover your first letterbox!
First, we tried a Letterbox at "Denzil Stewart Nature Park" and couldn't find it... I'm hoping to contact the Placer and see what's up.
We looked and LOOKED, but no letter box.
It was so beautiful there. I didn't even know this park existed until today.


We found a HUGE slug (seriously it was twice as wide as and longer than my finger!) I lifted up a big rock and saw something breathing... I poked it with my finger and it started writhing around. Needless to say, I let out a little scream! Can you see the leopard patterned creature by the little red piece of tree branch?
That's him!
He's kinda cute....

We decided to go to the second area. We found the "Spanish Sweet Onion Letterbox" near Willow Park. When you find the letterbox, you stamp the book, date it, and many people also wrote in where they are from. I saw stamps from Nevada, Montana, Wyoming, and all over Utah of course. Who knew? Many of the stamps had group names
too, so we decided our name would be the "SLUG BUGS".
I was SO excited to find the letterbox! Inside the letterbox was a sweet onion stamp (hence the name) and I stamped that in my book and dated when we found it.
At the pond, we saw lots of big dragonflies, some ducks,
and even a muskrat swimming around in the water! We also found a frog...
Zeke did NOT eat it, I promise!
What an awesome day! I can't wait to go again. Thanks to my family for going along with me :)

3 comments:

  1. That looks like lots of fun, I really wanna try it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds so fun. I have never heard of that park either, I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that slug reminds me of the slugs we saw in Oregon only less yellow. I gotta admit, they kind of (or a lot) creep me out! so not a bug person. Looked like a fun day though. I've never heard of that park either.

    ReplyDelete

Add your two cents (or more):

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...