Saturday, June 12, 2010

Overwhelmed... with Gratitude

Had a great time last night. I went to a Luau for the Laurels and Priests in our Stake. Even though I'm not in Young Women's anymore, I was invited because my sweet hubby is in the Stake YM. We watched the movie, "Forever Strong", it's based on the true story of the Highland, Utah Rugby team. I've seen it many times... and I love it every time I watch it. Afterwards, Zeke and a couple other people spoke to the youth. The Spirit was so strong. I felt so happy. I thought of my life way back in 1993... I am so "LUCKY" to be here. But luck has nothing to do with it. I was spared for some reason... I often wonder why.

To make a very long story short: My friends and roommates at Snow College were so influential to me and the beginnings of my testimony. I will be forever grateful to my wonderful roommate, Jen (Edwards) Mortensen. I owe her my life. I really do. I was LOST (and that is an enormous understatement!) She was the one who invited me to church with her... and she was not embarrassed to have me come with her and sit by her... even though EVERY head in the chapel spun around and stared the first time I walked in.

I remember finding a Bible that my old Sunday School teacher had given to me (thanks, Brother Swan), opening it (probably for the first time ever, really!) and thinking, Jen's so happy, I want to be happy, I want to have what she has, I wonder if this is really what it's all about. I'm going to find out... I randomly turned to Matthew 11: 28-30... and the words literally glowed and jumped right off the page: "Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." This one scripture changed my life forever... I knew what I needed to do, I knew where I could find peace and hope and joy...

In 1994, I went to a fireside at Snow College and heard a song from Michael Webb that told my story so well,

Once I was blind
I could not see the Truth
I had lost the vision of my youth
And the line between wrong and right
became cloudy and blurred with time
and the darkness swallowed the Light
once I was blind

Once I was deaf
the world and all it's noise
filled my mind
and I could not hear His voice
whispering in my ear
Oh, I heard what I chose to hear
I gave no heed
I thought I knew best
once I was deaf

But He healed me
He opened my eyes and ears
and He changed me
erasing the scars of years
and now my heart understands
and I am whole again

Once I was lame
crippled and bent with sin
my crooked feet refused to follow Him
I let go of the rod and staff
and I stumbled right off the path
falling down, falling away
once I was lame

But He healed me
He opened my eyes and ears
and He saved me
and carries me through the years
Finally my heart understands
and I am whole again
I can see
I can hear
I can walk
I will run to Him.

I am so thankful to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I just woke up this morning feeling so thankful and I wanted all of you to know why. It really is that AWESOME :)

1 comment:

  1. Wow Lace! What a beautiful testimony! And THAT is what this life is all about! Finding, enjoying, and accepting that PURE joy that the gospel can bring!!!! :) You deserve every ounce of happiness you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Add your two cents (or more):

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...