Monday, October 25, 2010

Toothless, Hiccup, Costume Frenzy and "Sorry to all who know me"

(Photo of Toothless from Wikipedia)

Ok, I always say "this post will be quick" but really this one will.

We rented "How to train your dragon" Friday night from the Redbox. We absolutely LOVED LOVED LOVED it! So much! Yep, it's very cute. Toothless is the cutest dragon I have ever seen! He reminds me of our big gray cat, Caspian. I am so amazed at the technology and computer animation in this movie. The water and fire look real. Even though Kaia said that I'm Astrid and she's Toothless, I feel more like Hiccup; always messing up, always misunderstood. Kinda like "Flik" in "A Bug's Life". Another good movie by the way. My kids have been drawing dragons all weekend.

Halloween is coming too fast. My girls need their costumes finished by tomorrow for a party at TaVaci. I'm in trouble. Previous lack of funds and sickness have put the costumes on hold. So today is the day! Better get sewing! They are halfway done I suppose, but with a 2 year old.... yeah.

Lastly, for those of you that don't know me too well and again for those of you that do, I just want to say "Sorry for being weird" right up front. I honestly don't want to offend anyone, but I have been told I am a bit of a "germaphobe". It's not the germs I am afraid of ... it's the late night ER visits and hospital stays that aren't my favorite. Yeah, call me crazy, but they're not fun. You wouldn't like it either. I promise.

I haven't always been this way... Kaia got a simple little cold during Christmas 5 years ago and we had to stay overnight in the ER with her. Kaia and Beck both have "Reactive Airway Disease" or sometimes it's called "Illness-induced asthma" meaning, when most people get a little cold, they get bronchitis or pneumonia every time. REALLY. It's so scary to see them wheezing and gasping for air. They get really high fevers as well. Earlier this year, Kaia was so sick, her lips were blue. And when she was three years old, I was driving her to the ER and she actually lost consciousness.

Anyway, I have been ostracized and even made fun of by a few individuals for my behavior (like using hand sanitizer, not wanting to be around sick people, not shaking people's hands -- yeah, crazy I guess.) It's hard for other people to understand unless they KNOW what it's like. I don't think other people aren't clean. Everyone gets sick. Everyone has germs. I'm just trying to protect my children the best I can. And I hope everyone can understand that. I just always feel like I have to explain myself.

I feel bad because we had a movie night planned with some friends and I didn't know one of them was sick so I told Zeke we had to cancel. Sorry guys... it's not you, it's me. I promise.

My Mom goes through the same thing with my Dad with his COPD. She just says I can't worry about what people think, but it's hard not to. :(

7 comments:

  1. If my kids went through that when they got sick I would be the same way. You don't need to apologize. We watched that movie on Saturday....I loved it too. The first thing Andrew said when it was over was, "When can we get that movie?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sandra, you'd be surprised how mean some people have been.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, as a stranger who only knows you through your blog, I don't think you're a weirdo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our family did a How to Train Your Dragon scene for the Pumpkin Walk this year...that movie rocks!

    I can't wait to see pictures of your girls' costumes...you must post those ASAP. :)

    I think you are completely justified in the ways you protect your family. I understand the feelings of being ostracized, we've dealt with a lot of backlash from Nick's germaphobia and anxiety issues. Your mom is right though, don't let the meanies get you down! Like my favorite quote says: Those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Dedra and Shauntae...

    Shauntae!! You did the scene from How to train your dragon? We just went to the Pumpkin Walk on Saturday and we LOVED that one :) good job!!

    love the quote, Dr. Seuss? I think

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ever since we had Lexie I have been alot more cautious with the whole Germ thing. How can you not be. I always tell myself and Jim that I am my child's advocate and they are my biggest concern. Who cares what others think. I can't handle seeing my little ones sick and in the hospital. My girls even got to the point where they would tell their friends that they (the friends) couldn't touch their (my girls') little sister. And with the shaking hands part, I really struggle with shaking anyones hand.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lacy, speaking as a nurse, don't worry about it. Your the one paying the bills and dealing with the sick kids. Kids with special issues like reactive airway and asthma throw a whole other set of rules into the mix. Hang in there. I don't like the meanies either. It's hard not to care what people think. Better this than like you picking your nose and wiping it on people in public, right?

    ReplyDelete

Add your two cents (or more):

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...