Monday, August 15, 2011

THIS is the definition of Insanity

"The definition of Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result." ~ Albert Einstein

I can't believe how often this quote applies to my life. When I finally wake up and realize what I'm doing -- this quote always comes to mind.

Thanks, Gabe, for letting me use your AWESOME gorilla skull on my blog
(I think it would make a cool T-shirt):
I was whining to Zeke this morning (Wednesday after my last post) about how hard it is and how stressed I am, how messy the house is and how grumpy we all are and sick of each other. DUH!

Kids eating breakfast hours apart, sleeping in until 10 or 11, friends coming and going, insanely stressful dinner making times, "the witching hours" as my friend Stephanie calls it. She talked about quiet/play in your room time right before dinner when they're hungry, tired, and excited for Dad to get home. GENIUS. She also told me to spend more one on one time with each child. INSPIRED. Hard to do, but VERY important.

Today I changed, made a schedule, not just in my head, but on paper on the fridge and went through it with each child and well, tried to follow it --aaaaah. So much better! Another quote I need to practice more often, "If you don't write it down, it's simply a wish."
Not every member of the household was pleased with the "SCHEDULE" (i.e. Gabe), but I think they'll figure out soon enough, "If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!" There HAS to be some structure even to summer. June was so crazy and July was so busy. Better late than never, right?

We've done a lot of cool things -- swim lessons, play group, afternoon at the county fair, late nights with friends, summer reading program, cooking together, yard work, sewing, etc, but it's all been "roly-poly, pell-mell tumble-bumble" and I end up at the bottom of the hill in a big heap.
Now that there's only 2 weeks left, I've got it all figured out... for NEXT YEAR! Bring on the Strawberry Shortcake! :) 10 pts. to the first person who can identify one of our favorite books I'm quoting. Oh, and here's the guardian of our front porch (Thank, Caspian):
Is he cute or what?
(Dedra and Tawnya don't need to answer this, but I love you anyway :)

14 comments:

  1. "The Poky Little Puppy"!

    LOVE your front porch guardian. Those are the best kinds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. POKEY LITTLE PUPPY! I love that one and so do my boys.

    I agree with the skull picture- or on a library bag. Now that it's scanned in you can print it on iron on and transfer it. :)

    Glad you found a little peace just in time for it all to change with school starting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't now how you do it! I only have two kids and the summer has been hectic. I need to make a chart too and then maybe I will get back on track.

    Also, my dominant thought while reading this, even though it is totally unrelated, is that there is no way you have a teenager! You are so beautiful and so young! There is no way you have teens. I refuse to believe it! :)
    Sunny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic idea. A schedule always works best around our house too. Hope the last few weeks of summer offer a little more structure and less insanity. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you! And totally working on the schedule now. I hate them. Hate hate hate. But, I will overcome. And so will you! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea of quiet time before dinner! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can *I* have quiet time before dinner? Because he can do what he wants. It's me that needs it...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just had to add - seeing your schedule made me smile. I didn't even read what was on it, but just seeing your handwriting made me strangely wistful. (I have always loved your handwriting.) Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE the cat porch guardian, and the'witching hour'. I will have to remember that one in a few years when the kids are old enough to understand what the heck quiet time is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm ready for a schedule too. My kids are doing the same..waking up so late to eat etc. I finally got fed up and said breakfast will be off the table at 10:00.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My kids don't do so well with a schedule even if it is written down. Too many with too much variance in the ages, I think. My five-year-old thinks she is a teenager.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aw, Mis, you made me cry :) Back in the day of passing notes and writing letters! I know I could recognize your handwriting anywhere. love you
    (FYI, Mistie is my best friend from high school!:)

    And it is the POKY LITTLE PUPPY, Yay, Julie!! :)
    10 "cool" points to you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i hope you can have some quiet time to relax and unwind. i know it must be so hard, i only have 2 kids and i find it difficult.

    i read the coolest thing in a magazine where Jeff Bridges was talking about how awesome his mom was. he said everyday she'd give each kid 1 hour and do with them whatever they wanted. i thought that was so cool. though i feel like i would never do that. i'm just not THAT good of a mommy!

    spinning-threads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Add your two cents (or more):

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...